I’ve seen several “top blog directories to submit your blog to” articles, however these lists are often light on details or out of date. Here are 16 blog directories that I went to take a look at. Like regular web directories, some blog directories will only list you for a fee, and yet still more request a reciprocal link before they will list you. Some are rather sneaky about it, you don’t figure out you have to reciprocate or pay until you are a step or two into the submission process.
That being said, just like web directories, it might be worth paying for a listing in some of these blog directories, however that analysis (choosing which one to pay for) is for another day.
For some of these you should be prepared to create an account and choose a category that your blog belongs to. Some ask for a full profile. Some have validation/ownership verification processes. It WILL take more time than you expect. Many of these will have a human review the submission before publishing it. That’s ok, in fact it is good, as google looks more favorably on directories that have editorial review.
Here are the 16 I reviewed, I’ve grouped them into “Free”, “Paid”, “Reciprocal” and “Ugly”
- Blog Catalog Once you create your account, Blog Catalog expects you to either put a link to blogcatalog.com on your blogroll or add a “Meta” tag to “verify ownership”. Unfortunately before I got around to adding the meta tag I was distracted by other priorities. When I came back to re-obtain the meta tag they had “deactivated” my account. I’ve requested reactivation. If I am able to complete the process I will update this post.
- Technorati More than just a blog directory. Technorati is a world upon its own. You can set up a full profile here and interact with other bloggers. To complete the submission process you have to write a blog post with a code in it to verify you own the blog. Here’s mine: 7QJWXUWT59VX
- BlogPulse Quick and easy, you can submit multiple blogs here. Click on the contact us link if you can’t find the submission link.
- Google Blog Search – When I checked my blog was already listed here, if yours is not you can submit it here.
- IceRocket Another straighforward submission, in this case I just added
http://rpc.icerocket.com:10080/ to my WordPress update services.
- GlobeOfBlogs Tends more towards the personal blogger, expect to fill out a profile to submit your blog.
- bloggernity.com After you create an account, validate your email and then submit, it politely asks you to put their badge on your blog. Perhaps the link in this post is a good alternative.
- bloggapedia.com Also requests reciprocal link, not particulary clear if it is required
- ontoplist This was one of the sneaky ones. After going through the process, it became clear they will only give you the listing when you place a badge on your website or pay $29.99. I went ahead and added the badge (see under “recent entries”) so readers have a sense of what they look like.
- bloguniverse.com Reciporal link or paid listing
- superblogdirectory.com – domain is for sale
- spillbean.com – submit page has been hacked
There are many more blog directories, please feel free to comment on any I might have overlooked.